some stories are so funny; we laugh until we cry and some stories are so sad we cry before we finish, but all stories need to be told...

Monday, November 8, 2010

a little bourbon is good for the soul

today i awoke feeling slightly askew- indescribably as if i were leaning a bit to the right (no political meaning here- leaning to the right couldn't be farther from who i am). i attempted to do my daily yoga- but struggled through every pose; unable to hold anything requiring one leg off of the ground- i kept teetering and then falling to the right.
i had this feeling- that i needed to be straightened out- and i don't mean like when you were a kid and your cousins were visiting and little tony was acting out and your dad would say to your mom after they left, "leave him with me for a week, i'll straighten him out". - i meant it in a chiropractical sense- i longed for someone much taller than me (not hard to find that person- my 3 1/2 year old nearly qualifies) to stand behind me; placing one of their large hands flatly on either side of my head they would firmly lift me up off of the ground a few inches and give me a good shake. that is what i needed; to be shaken up and out.
i realized, once i snapped out of my straightening out fantasy bubble, i was starving.  i went to the kitchen to make some chai and lo & behold i noticed, sitting in a ray of morning's light beaming as if from heaven shining upon our counter was one the wee pumpkin breads baked last night. it was as if god were speaking to me- willing me to pick it up and eat it.
i complied.
it was a celestial morning treat- traditional and new; pumpkin, crunchy pepitas, drunken cranberries- and a light topping- a simply tasteful marriage of jaggery and warm autumn spices.
with the very last bite, i felt adjusted.  could it be the bourbon soaked cranberries i wondered as i opened the fridge and reached for another? no matter, i simply know that moments before i was feeling lousy- out of sorts- off kilter and askew- then i ate one of our miniature magnum opuses and now i feel as right as rain.
true. story.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment